SALVAGE COLLAGE WITH DAYNA COLLINS
Students will need to bring the following to class:
- Paper cutting scissors for small detailed cutting
- Paint brushes - 1/2", 1", and 2" flat brushes
- Matte Medium (Golden or Liquidtex)
- X-acto knife with new blade and self-healing cutting mat
- Pad of 9x12 inch 140 pound water color paper (can be torn into smaller sizes, but this is a good size for how we will be working)
- Metal edge ruler
- Water container
- Box of wax paper
- Roll of paper towels
- 5 old hardback books, the more worn and wonky, the better (to be pulled apart and cut up)
- 10 vintage paperback covers
- Old magazines or catalogs to use as glue pages
- Fine tipped white acrylic pen
- Fine tipped black acrylic pen
- A few assorted pencils, i.e., #2, Stabilo in black, graphite
- A "side" journal (an old book, a handmade book, or a purchased journal with mixed media weight paper); this journal will be used for leftover paint, collage scraps, examples of techniques, and experimentation.
- Variety of collage papers*, be creative and bring what you have. Some ideas: old letters, envelopes, maps, dictionary pages, vintage brochures, sheet music, book pages, old newspaper clippings, ticket stubs, etc.
- Personal black and white photos, either originals or photocopies (or both). I will bring photos of strangers for students to use, but sometimes personal photos are fun to work with.
- Substrate of your choice: We will be working on 140 pound watercolor paper and on book boards, but you are welcome to also bring a couple of wood cradled panels.