If you want to Set Up A Quiller Palette in Class
This is for the artist who does not have a palette already set up or
who wants to update their old unorganized one to the Quiller Palette.
- Indelible ink pen (sharpie)
- QUILLER PALETTE large with lid
- WATERCOLORS IN TUBES:
Bring all the colors that you have including these suggested basics or their equivalent…The Quiller Palette will have an example of these colors in the packet. Daniel Smith Watercolors will be your choice if you want a high quality paint but they are a bit expensive. If you want to spend less you might want to get a less expensive brand or only purchase the *. Please bring tubes for this palette
- Alizarin crimson
- Phthalo blue *
- Cadmium yellow light *
- Ultramarine blue
- Ultramarine violet *
- Phthalo green *
- Cadmium Red Light
- Cadmium Orange
- Phthalo Turquoise
- Permanent Green Light
- Burnt Sienna *
- Yellow Ochre
- Burnt Umber
- You will NOT need black
PURCHASE & BRING YOUR WATERCOLORS IN THE TUBE FOR THIS CLASS.
Daniel Smith is my go to watercolor brand. You can purchase online at Danielsmith.com or any other online website that carries them, however there are many other brands available. You probably do not want student grade paints.
Your paints must be in dry cakes.
Brushes (Do NOT bring acrylic or oil brushes):
- 1” flat watercolor brush
- #4 Pointed watercolor brush (or something close to this size)
- # 10 Pointed watercolor brush
- 2” Flat Brush (this can be an inexpensive one from a hardware store)
- Any others you have & might want to bring
3 full sheets Arches 140 lb Watercolor Paper (we will tear these into 4 pieces each in class)
- 2 Large Water Containers (yogurt containers are great)
- 1 standard drawing board to mount watercolor paper, approximately 18x24” large enough for your quarter sheet paper, your reference photo & a small test paper.. We will be using both sides of the board.
- 1 ½” tan masking tape
- #2 Pencil & kneaded eraser
- 2 Photos of 2 persons you want to do the portrait of.
- High contrast shadows will work best.
- These should be cropped so that the person is cropped on 3 sides.
- Bring 2 copies of each-printed on 8.5x11 paper and bring the images on your phone.
- One copy should be color and one black/white.