LIVELY PERSONAL NARRATIVE WITH ALISON O'DONOGHUE
Students will need to bring the following to class:
- Wood Painting Surfaces - Panel boxes from art supply stores or birch panel. Any sizes, rectangular or square. I suggest including one in the size range 18”, 20”, 24”, especially if you’d like to focus on one painting.
- Brushes - Round, flat or bright, and a mop. Round, sizes 3, 4, 5. Sable or synthetic. Flat or bright, synthetic is fine, a few sizes, including 2 larger, 1”-1.5” or larger, for gesso, background and varnish. It is best to have one that is solely for varnish. Mop brush. 1’-1.5” for mopping transparent paint around.
- Black Gesso - Black is best, white is okay if you don’t bring black.
- Disposable Pad Palette OR several small white saucers or any size white plates to use as palettes.
- White Watercolor Pencil - Caran D’Ache is a quality brand, but there are many choices.
- Heavy Body Acrylic Paint I recommend Golden Paint brand. However, bring what brand you choose to. Minimum palette suggestion: Mars Black, Titanium White, Cadmium Red Dark, Pyrrole Red OR Pyrrole Red Light, Chromium Oxide Green and/or Permanent Green Light, Cobalt Blue,Teal, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Yellow Ochre, Orange, Pyrrole or cadmium are good choices. *note: I am selecting these for 1. Color and 2. Opacity, (these are more opaque than transparent, when painting over black this is helpful.) Additional to this suggestion, bring any other colors you like.
- Transparent Paint These will be used for color washes. Liquid form or tube form, the important point is that they are relatively transparent. Think earth tones. Some suggestions are, Nickel Azo, Naphthol Red Medium (less transparent but works well for this.) Sap Green, Burnt Orange, Indian Yellow. I don’t recommend very bright colors or blues for this.
- Polymer Varnish Satin or gloss.
- Hair Dryer for speeding paint drying time. If you don’t bring this, it’s okay, we can share.
- Apron or Old Shirt List of materials and supplies you will bring to share with students or make available for them to use: You can include the cost of these in your materials fee which will be paid directly to you.
INSTRUCTOR WILL PROVIDE:
- Notebook Paper and Sharpie pens for drawing exercises
- Masking tape
- White transfer paper
- Dust masks for sanding
- Electric sander for smoothing surface
Available for purchase at cost:
- Prepared, gessoed 9.5”x9.5” birch plywood squares
- Round brushes I have selected, as these vary so much in ability to hold a point.
- A variety of paint in mini jars for students to add to their color options