REGISTER APRIL 1
Collage Figures & Environments — Deborah Faye Lawrence
AUGUST 5 — 11, 2018
In the peaceful and creative atmosphere of Menucha, we can allow our intuitive picture-making skills to surface. Collage makes it easy. The week will be devoted to inventing basic paper doll-like shapes, creating active and passive figures. Working in two dimensions, the emphasis will be on anatomy, geometry and action. Later, we’ll use magazine clippings to infill the bodies with collage information. Found imagery can animate figures beyond your dreams! As the week progresses, we create environments and backdrops for the figures, emphasizing contrast and complementarity. Mixed media – acrylic paint, drawing, etc. can be used to help the figures stand out. Expect a room full of humor, politics, philosophy and support under the friendly tutelage of Seattle’s Queen of Collage! Class Material Fee:$12. http://www.deedeeworks.com/
CLASS SUPPLY LIST:
- Your sense of humor.
- A small jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Also, if there is a special adhesive you prefer to use, bring that, but no rubber cement.
- A very inexpensive short-handled flat “chip brush” paintbrush, about ¾ to one-inch width.
- Sketchbook or journal for taking notes.
- Magazines of all sorts: culture, history, science, fashion, news. Especially favored are magazines printed on heavy paper, rather than newsprint. The more variety the better. Bring enough to share, if possible.
- An empty folder, portfolio or oversize envelope to carry completed artworks and works in progress.
- Optional: Paper ephemera, ie photos (or photocopies of photos), documents. Postage stamps, labels, letters, envelopes. Tissue paper, sewing patterns, decorative papers, etc. Digital prints, BW or color.
- Optional: A clean, flat-surfaced metal or wooden object that would benefit from a collage treatment, ie serving tray, cake tin, shallow bowl, vinyl LP.
REGISTRATION STARTS APRIL 1, 2018
Five easy steps to registration:
1. Select one week long class, lodging, and meals below.
2. Add to your shopping cart and check out.
3. After payment you will be sent an email confirmation.
4. In the confirmation email is a link to a registration form.
5. You must complete registration form to finish your transaction.
TWO WEEK PARTICIPANTS: If you are taking BOTH one week workshops, please click the button below to see more options and requirements for two week participants.
Deborah Faye Lawrence
Deborah Faye Lawrence, MFA is a native of California, and has lived with her husband in Seattle since 1993. A longtime exhibiting artist and arts educator, Deborah uses satire to look beneath the surface. She has taught courses for Seattle University, University of Washington, Lesley University, Seattle Public Schools, and Path With Art, among many others. As a socially engaged artist she has received funding from The Creative Capital Foundation, The Pollock-Krasner Foundation, The Puffin Foundation, Artist Trust/Washington State Arts Council, WESTAF/NEA, Seattle Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs, The Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs, and The California Arts Council, et al. Lawrence was presented with Seattle Art Museum’s Betty Bowen Honorable Mention Award in 2017; and was the 2015 Winner of the Twining Humber Award for Lifetime Achievement in Visual Art, awarded by Artist Trust. Her artwork has been widely exhibited, and reviewed in Art in America, Sculpture Magazine, Artweek, Art Papers Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time Magazine, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, L.A. Weekly, The Stranger, and Seattle Times, et al.
Deborah F. Lawrence website